Tuesday, January 5, 2010

THE CELLAR DOOR

This is not an original story, but one my Dad used to tell. I thought some of my family would get a kick out of it.

Coon hunting is a lonely profession, especially if you have the best coon dog in a hundred mile radius. Nobody wants to hunt with you, when your dog can out track and out tree any dog around.
When my best friend, Wayne, called from Ohio, he informed me he'd latched onto the two best coon dogs in the state. He wanted to bring them out and hunt them. Of course, Wayne knew of Rock's reputation, so he said, "If you will tie Rock up, I'll bring my two dogs out and we'll hunt them."
I was anxious to see my old friend and was a little bit curious about how good these dogs really were, so I agreed.
Wayne drove all day and got here about dark. We ate supper and he was ready to stretch his legs and the dogs were restless, so we decided to go coon hunting.
I chained Rock to the cellar door and we unloaded Wayne's dogs and headed off into the hills.
It really didn't take long for Wayne's dogs to pick up a track and they were barking on the trail.
Pretty shortly, I hear another bay that I recognized right away. Ole Rock had broke loose and he was barking on the trail with Wayne's dogs.
"I got to find Rock and get that chain off him before he gets all tangled up." I told Wayne.
We headed toward the dogs.
It was the darnest thing I ever saw. Not only did Rock have the chain attached, but he was dragging the cellar door.
And the part that really beats it all: those two dogs of Wayne's had hitched a ride and were both sitting on that cellar door.

1 comment:

  1. I sent this story to Wayne's daughter in a Christmas card, and it really tickled her.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete